Saturday, September 5, 2009

Another Tutorial...

I am going to do my best to try to break this down... Here is how we made the shade for the nursery.

First, I measured the window and decided that I wanted the treatment to be 3" wider (on each side) than the window casing.  So that gave me my overall width.  I eyeballed the length that I wanted, around 22"-24" finished.  I gave myself an extra 17" of length to account for the gathering, hems, and enough to staple it far enough back on the top mounting board.

When you make a shade for a window that is wider than the width of your fabric, you never want to have a seam in the middle of the treatment.  For this one, I wanted a large center panel and symmetrical smaller panels so that the seams would line up with the gathering.  There is not an exact science to figure out that proportion.  I just went off went felt right.  My seams were 10"-12" from the outside edges.  Don't forget to match your repeat, as necessary.

Next, we cut everything out.  I get nervous that I'm going to short myself on fabric somehow, so I allow 1" for every seam.  You could certainly do 1/2".  I also neurotically draw out my fabric cuts.  I draw a big rectangle that represents my overall fabric yardage.  Then I draw dotted lines to represent the cuts.  This just helps me think through the cuts one more time and insure that I have enough fabric.  It also can help maximize the fabric that you do have.

So here are the three cuts, face down, sewn together.  
We made the same three cuts in our lining fabric, sewed them together, lined them up (face to face) with the main fabric, and sewed those together.  Leave the bottom side open, or you won't be able to put the proper seam in the bottom.  Next, turn it right side out and push out your corners.  Shown here:
You'll probably want to iron it at this point so your seams lay flat.

Okay, hang in there with me, we're rounding this out.  I hope this isn't boring!!

We did a 1" hem at the bottom and then turned that up again 4".  A hearty hem at the bottom will help any treatment hang better.
Sewing in the bottom hem...
Then we wrapped the 1x3 board with extra fabric to cover the ends (see an example in the previous tutorial about the guest room shades).  We stapled the treatment about half way back on the board (also see previous post).  We went ahead and attached 3 "L" brackets to the bottom side of the board.  Tip- make a small hole in the fabric where you are going to attach the "L" brackets.  It will keep you from snagging the fabric.  Tapping in a nail will do the trick.  As far as the placement for the 3 brackets we used, I put one on each end- about 3"+ in.  Then we put one directly in the center.  We cut the board about 1/4" shorter on each end than the width of the treatment, FYI.  I wanted to be sure it wouldn't stick out the ends.

Okay, last step (other than hanging it):  I hand tacked drapery rings along the backside of each seam.  Mine are about 4" apart (based on the size of the bottom hem).  You will need to tack through to the front side of the face fabric so that both fabrics will gather.  When you buy the rings, in the same area should be some hefty string or cording (see it in the picture below).  Once all of your rings are on (I did 4 on each of my seams), you'll take your hefty string and run it through them and tie a bow.  Tie a bow (rather than a knot) so you can adjust it later if you're not happy with it.  If you're sure you love the gathering, just make it a double knot.
Lastly, hang that thing!  Ta-da!  Here's our finished product.
I hope this is fun and helpful.  I would love your feedback!

1 comment:

  1. Nice job friend! The nursery looks so great! Sadie is a comin! YEAH!!!

    ReplyDelete